The 2015 WAGC meet is now closed to further entries, due to an unprecedented demand from both SI and out-of-district swimmers. Unfortunately this is a good news / bad news story – good news in that this meet has grown and generated such interest from teams throughout the West, and bad news in that we have to turn away increasing numbers of swimmers and clubs who would like to attend this meet.
The 2015 edition of the Winter Age Group Championships has received over 200 entries from swimmers outside of the San Diego-Imperial LSC, and is now closed to outside entries. Entries from SI swimmers will continue to be accepted until the meet capacity is reached.
Entries for the 2015 San Diego Winter Age Group Championships continue to roll in. As of 10 PM on 25 November, the meet had reached 61% of capacity, with 154 of the 492 total entries received from outside of SI Swimming. As a reminder, entries from outside of SI Swimming are limited to no more than 200 swimmers, and the entire meet is limited to 800 swimmers. After that, entries will be closed…so don’t delay if you want to enter this meet!
The 2016 SI Swimming All-Star Team will be competing in the annual All-Star Meet, which this year will be a dual meet against the Sierra Nevada All-Star Team on January 16-17 right here in San Diego! Our All-Star team will be selected at the the upcoming Winter Age Group Championship meet in December from the eligible SI swimmers with the best performances at the meet. The key word here is “eligible” – and to be eligible for selection, each interested swimmer must submit an All-Star Team Application prior to the completion of the Sunday preliminary events at the Winter Age Group Championships on Dec 20, 2015. The team will consist of up to 24 girls and 24 boys – 8 each in the 10 & Under, 11-12, and 13-14 age groups.
Selection Criteria: Based on the performance of the swimmers’ best six finishes at the Winter Age Group Championships in events that are to be swum at the All Star Meet (designated in WAGs format with a star), the following criteria will be used:
- Two first place finishes among SI swimmers in an event – automatic qualification.
- Single first place finishers fill the remaining slots (max of 8), with next highest place finish being used (if necessary) as a tie breaker.
- If still less than 8 have qualified, scores will be awarded in swimmers’ best six qualifying races and the lowest scores will fill the remaining spots on the roster. IMX scoring will be used. Scores will be given to non-participants in the meet who competed in another SI swim meet in December.
- Note: Coaching staff reserves the right to select team in the event of circumstances beyond those described above.
The Swim Office will be closed on Thursday and Friday, November 26 and 27, in observance of Thanksgiving.
At tonight’s annual House of Delegates meeting, SI Swimming held its elections for the upcoming 2016-2017 term. Your new Board of Directors includes:
General Chair: Kevin Lee
Admin Chair: Debbie Baldwin
Treasurer: John McGlynn
Secretary: Mary Redmond
Senior Vice Chair: Dave Kilmer
Age Group Vice Chair: Sean Redmond
Technical Vice Chair: Tom Paradowski
Athletes’ Rep: Maddie Cosgrove, Jason Ornelas
Registration Chair: Deanna Rupp
Admin Board of Review: Keith Clements, Don Watkinds, Matt Boese, Pat Tope, Dean Bailey, John Smigal, Scott Lawson, Michael DeMarco (athlete), Roy Perkins (athlete)
Congratulations and good luck to all the newly elected Board Members!
The results of the South Bay Aquatics-hosted 10 & Under Mini/11 & Over Distance Meet held 14-15 November 2015 at the Mater Dei HS pool in Chula Vista have been posted.
The November Board Meeting is the Annual House of Delegates Meeting and takes place on Monday, November 16, 2015. This is a reminder that the meeting will be held at a special location, Qualcomm’s Building S (the cafeteria), and not the swim office. The location change was made to comfortably accommodate more people. The Qualcomm campus has many different buildings, so please refer to this map for more details. There is a guard at the entrance to the parking lot. Just tell the guard you are going to a USA Swimming Meeting in building S and he/she will direct you.
SI Swimmers have already had a busy fall, setting a total of 9 new individual LSC records since the short course season began in September. Record breaking swims were turned in by:
- Minh-Uyen Dang (RAQ) – 9-10 Girls 50 Y Free and 50 Y Fly
- Ashley Rowe (PS) – 9-10 Girls 50 Y Back
- Rachel Rhee (RSD) – 13-14 Girls 50 Y Free
- Pierce Dietze (WSST) – 13-14 Boys 50 Y Free
- Joshua He (RSD) – 13-14 Boys 100 Y Free and 100 Y Breast
- Austin Nguyen (PS) – 15-16 Boys 100 Y Breast
- Carlson Temple (CAST) – 15-16 Boys 200 Y Breast
The complete SI short course record listing has all the details.
South Bay Aquatics has provided the following information regarding this weekend’s meet – the Saturday 10&Under NTS Mini-meet, and the Sunday 11&Over Distance Meet. Please note that the Mater Dei Catholic HS Pool has ordered that no canopies are allowed on the deck. Detailed meet information can be found on Meet Mobile as well as www.southbayaquatics.org
Estimated Meet Timeline:
- Saturday AM session starts at 9:00 am, ends approximately 12:45 pm.
- Saturday PM session will not start before 2:00 pm, ends approximately 4:30 pm.
- Sunday session starts at 9:00 am, ends at 3:30 pm.
Warmup Assignments: Saturday and Sunday AM sessions
- 0730-0810: SBA and all other teams not listed (check in after warm-ups)
- 0810-0850: NCA, PS, PAC, PQAC and FAST (check in before warm-ups)
Lane Timing Assignments: Swimmers must provide their own timers for: the Saturday PM session (1650s), the Sunday 500s (9 am) and 1000s (approx. 2 pm)
|Lane||Saturday AM||Sunday AM
|1||SDYMCA / CAST||SBA / SBA
|2||PAC & CNSA / PQAC||SBA / SBA
|3||HSA / HSA||SBA / SBA
|4||MRA / SBA||HSA / PAC
|5||SBA / SBA||NCA / NCA
|6||PS / PS||NCA / NCA
|7||NCA / NCA||PS / SDYMCA
|8||NCA / NCA||PS / PS
The results of the Heartland Swimming Association-hosted 11 & Over BC Meet held 7-8 November 2015 at the Granite Hills HS pool in El Cajon have been posted.
The SI Swim Office will be closed on Wednesday, November 11 in observance of Veteran’s Day.
Heartland Swim Association has provided the following information for this weekend’s 11 & Over B/C Meet, which is being held at the Granite Hills HS pool in El Cajon.
- HSA will not be selling a program at this meet- a PDF of the meet program will be available here. HSA is also running Meet Mobile.
- Awards for swimmers ages 13/Over swimmers are only available when requested before the meet begins by the coach.
Estimated Meet Timeline:
- Saturday: Starts at 8:30 am; ends approximately 12:00 noon plus any relays.
- Sunday: Starts at 8:30 am; ends approximately 10:30 am plus any relays.
Warm-up Assignments: Saturday and Sunday:
- 7:30-8:15am – Open warm-up
Lane Timing Assignments:
|1||YMCAs / CAST||RSD / CAST
|2||RSD / RSD||RSD / RSD
|3||HSA / HSA||IVDA / IVDA
|4||PS / PS||PS / PS
|5||PS / PS||PS / PS
|6||MRA / MRA||MRA / MRA
|7||PQ / IVDA||MRA / SBA
|8||SBA / SDAC||SDAC / SDAC
The In-water Skills Checklist for swim coaches’ Safety Training has been updated. Coaches and clubs should make sure to use the updated form since the approval agencies have changed.
Nominations Committee chair Scott Lawson recently sent along his committee’s report of nominations for the upcoming election for the 2016 Board of Directors of SI Swimming. The elections will be held during the next BOD meeting, which is scheduled for Monday, 16 November at 7:45 pm in Building S at Qualcomm, 5535 Morehouse Drive, San Diego. The Qualcomm campus has many different buildings, so please refer to this map for more details. There is a guard at the entrance to the parking lot. Just tell the guard you are going to a USA Swimming Meeting in building S.